I ran into something strange during a deployment engagement at a customer. I built reference images using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013 Update 1 (as I always do) to Windows 7 and Windows 10. In the images I included Office 2013 and other stuff like Visual C++. After I deployed those images to my test machines the Office applications would not start on the Windows 7 machine, but it worked fine on the Windows 10 machine. The error message I got when I tried to launch Word was: “Sorry, something went wrong and Word was unable to start. (6)”.
The event log also contained some events that pointed out that it was not able to find some files located on c:\******.
Everything was exactly the same in terms of the deployment. I used the exact same task sequence for deploying both images. After some troubleshooting I found out that my deployments were deployed to E:\ and this was happening because I forgot to set the OSDPreserveDriveLetter to true in the task sequences (D’oh). More about that here: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/280/Uber-tips-for-the-MDT-2012-Update-1-Task-Sequence-template-for-SCCM-2012-SP1
After I re-deployed my test machines, Windows was deployed to C:\ and the Office installation worked on both images.
The strange thing is that Office 2013 worked fine on Windows 10, but not on Windows 7 when Windows was installed to E:\. I guess Windows 10 has some more intelligence to fix compability issues with installations of Windows to other drives than C:. Guess I will never forget to set OSDPreserveDriveLetter again. J